Traffic & Transportation
Thanks to all who made the 2012 December Nights so memorable!
The co-producers and co-hosts of this classic San Diego celebration would like to thank our generous sponsors. We could not have welcomed 345,000 visitors to the Park over the two-day event without the support of these wonderful organizations. We would also like to thank the entertainment groups, the Park museums and cultural organizations and the many Balboa Park and community volunteers who made this festival so special.
We’re hoping to spend the first Friday and Saturday of December (December 6 and 7, 2013) with you next year!
Take a look at Balboa Park December Nights 2012!
With more than 300,000 people attending December Nights and extremely limited parking at Balboa Park, we encourage visitors to use the FREE off-site shuttles or take public transportation.
**Special Parking and Traffic Highlights**
**5:00pm CITY COLLEGE LOT IS FULL. PLEASE USE PETCO
1. If you plan to take the shuttle to the event, it is suggested that you arrive at City College or Petco Park no later than 7pm.
2. If you are going to Petco for the shuttle, use I-5 and exit at Imperial Ave.
3. Avoid 163 southbound during the hours of 5-8pm as this highway will be extremely congested. Use alternate routes to get to the park and shuttle stops.
4. This year there is no shuttle stop at the County Administration parking lot.
FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE
- PETCO Park Shuttle at Tailgate Park at Imperial Ave. and Park Blvd.: Parking is only $5.00/vehicle and there are more than 2,000 parking spaces in this area. Shuttle takes less than 10 minutes and drops off at 6th & Laurel Streets.
- **5pm City COLLEGE IS FULL**City College Lots between 16th and "B" Street: Parking is free. Shuttle drops off at 6th & Laurel Streets.
The December Nights Shuttle runs on Friday from 4:30-11pm and on Saturday from noon until 11:00pm in all locations. The last shuttle leaves all sites at 8:45pm and the last shuttle from the park is at 10:45pm.
TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Balboa Park is accessible from most San Diego neighborhoods—as well as cities in East County, North County, and South Bay— by bus, trolley, or train. By taking the bus or trolley you not only avoid traffic, but you help the environment, and it’s economical.
To create your personal trip plan, visit www.sdmts.com or call 511 to speak to one of the Transit Information Operators.
MTS Trolley & Bus
- From the South or East, take the trolley to the City College Station in downtown San Diego and transfer to the MTS Route 7 (on 11th Avenue) to Park Boulevard.
- From Hillcrest, Uptown, Mid-City, Normal Heights, City Heights, and North Park communities take any bus to University Avenue and Park Blvd and transfer to a special Route 7 shuttle heading to Park Blvd.
- See all MTS Trolley and Bus schedules and route maps.
DRIVING TO THE PARK
Parking at Balboa Park is extremely limited. If you do drive, please carpool and arrive early.
- Parking: Visitors to December Nights can help keep Balboa Park “green” by taking the free shuttles.
- Free disabled parking is available at the Fleet Science Center lot and the Federal lot near the Hall of Champions.
- In addition, there will be optional preferred parking for $20/vehicle at the Natural History Museum parking lot and the South Carousel lot (both accessible from Park Blvd. and Village Place). Paid parking will also be available at the Inspiration Point parking lot for $20/vehicle (accessible from Park Blvd and Presidents Way). There is limited free parking at the San Diego Zoo lot.