Balboa Park Online Collaborative Job Opportunities
San Diego, California - August 2015
IT Support Technician
Status: Hourly, non-exempt
Hours: 32-40 hours, Monday – Friday, weekends – on call
Benefits: 100% medical, dental, and life insurance, 15 vacation days, 10 sick days,
12 holidays per year
Start Date: September 1, 2015
Reports to: Director of Technology Services
The IT Support Technician will be an independent, proactive, technically proficient, customer-oriented service professional. The IT Support Technician will be the first, and often only, point of contact for BPOC IT clients and will provide them with courteous, efficient IT support assistance. The IT Support Technician will also work as directed by senior staff on special IT projects, including provisioning, installing, configuring, operating and maintaining hardware and software systems. This individual will work with Windows, Mac, VMWare, and Linux operating systems, including both workstations and servers that support a wide range of software applications including antivirus and backup software as well as museum- and nonprofit-specific technologies.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work largely independently to respond to calls and requests for problem resolution or service. Attempt to resolve issues remotely first, in person if necessary, and finally through detailed diagnostics up to and including OEM support.
- Manage accounts in Active Directory, Office 365, Google Apps, and some specialized software systems under the direction of senior IT staff and client liaisons
- Assist more senior BPOC IT staff as directed on special IT projects.
- Document all IT support related tasks, best practices, and support documentation in Redmine (BPOC ticket tracking system).
- Monitor IT ticketing system to identify incoming requests or areas where other IT staff may need assistance.
- Implement preventive maintenance projects to reduce service desk calls.
- Resolve problems within established practices.
- Perform offsite backup maintenance and regular inventory review.
- Works with Director of Technology Services and management team to suggest and provide solutions and address support issues.
- Maintain positive impression to end users during high stress situations.
- Work closely with colleagues to meet team goals and improve processes and practices.
- Rapidly respond to emergency situations both during and outside of normal business hours, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required, college degree or coursework preferred.
- 1-2 years desktop support experience managing Windows and other OS environments and at least 1 year experience working in Microsoft Server environments, including some management of Active Directory, or combination of certifications and experience.
- Basic familiarity with TCP/IP connectivity including LANs and WANs.
- Experience managing virtual infrastructure (VMware) preferred.
- Experience with backup systems preferred.
- Technical certifications or active work towards certification preferred.
- Experience in a fast-paced support environment as a member of a 24x7x365 network systems operations team.
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn new or unfamiliar technologies and products independently using documentation and online resources.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Desire to work in non-profit environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general job responsibilities and is not inclusive of every duty the employee is expected to perform.
Reaching outward Pushing/pulling
Squatting/crouching Usual amount 20 lbs (estimate)
Manual dexterity Max amount 80 lbs (estimate)
Balancing Usual amount 15 lbs (estimate)
Standing Max amount 60 lbs (estimate)
Climbing Usual amount 10 lbs (estimate)
Reaching Above Shoulder Max amount 25 lbs (estimate)
BPOC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit the following:
List of three references
Balboa Park Online Collaborative
RE: Human Resources
2131 Pan American Plaza
San Diego CA 92101
Or email to:
Please no telephone calls. No Recruiters.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.