Top 5 ‘Don’t Misses’ in Balboa Park This Week
So you have the week off, kids are out of school, sis and her pups are in from out of town, weather is gorgeous … but ocean water temperatures are too doggone cold—even for a hot dog like me! What’s the hostess with the mostess to do?
Since you’ve clicked through to this blog, you are obviously intrigued by Balboa Park’s numerous options. In no particular order here my five favorite activities for families this week:
1. Botanical Building/Poinsettia Display — The historic wood lathe structure, one of the largest of its kind, is festively adorned for the season—and always free! But plan on going this Wednesday or Friday as it’s closed Dec. 29 and this weekend.
2. Reuben H. Fleet Science Center — Serving a smorgasbord of hands-on exhibits your pups will never realize are educational, the Fleet is also home to the region’s only domed IMAX theater, which is now showing a film very near and dear to my heart: Born to Be Wild.
3. San Diego’s Craft Revolution — Treat your brood and bipedal guests to this comprehensive showcase of the unique styles and designs you grew up with at the Mingei International Museum.
4. Modern Day Mummy — Though not recommended for the very young or squeamish, this fascinating exhibition at the Museum of Man explores the worldwide practice of mummification—featuring actual mummies, of course!
5. SPACE: A Journey to Our Future — Closing January 8, this is your final chance to see the Air & Space Museum’s blockbuster exhibition of interactive displays, models, and environments that reveal the history and future of outer space exploration.
Could I have made this a list of the top 10 things to do in the Park this week? Most certainly! But as I covered many other worthwhile activities in recent posts, I’ll let you scroll down to see what else is going on, as well as a list of special museum holiday hours.