28 Days of Museum Heaven!
San Diegans are truly blessed this time of year. And I’m not just talking about a conspicuous lack of blizzard conditions. For over two decades, a coalition of all the best museums in the county (a.k.a. The Museum Council) has banded together to make February Museum Month.
Far from just a clever PR tactic, Museum Month is actually a gift to residents and visitors to the region, who can take advantage of ridiculously reduced admission fees, as in 50% off! For the entire month! For your entire family!
To get in on this deal, my bipedal pals just need to stop by any Macy’s Department Store in San Diego County (no purchase necessary) to fetch a free Museum Month pass. One pass is valid for up to four pack members.
And while 40 participating museums may seem like a lot, 14 of them are conveniently located here in Balboa Park, making February the ideal time to check out:
- Lizards & Snakes: Alive! at the San Diego Natural History Museum
- Glitz & Glam Luxury Cars of the 20s and 30s at the Automotive Museum (opens Feb. 4)
- Zandra Rhodes—A Lifelong Love Affair with Textiles at the Mingei International Museum
- Dressing the Part: Costume Design at the Old Globe at the San Diego History Center
- Thomas Gainsborough and the Modern Woman at The San Diego Museum of Art
- Earth Exposed at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
- Strange Bones: Curiosities of the Human Skeleton at the San Diego Museum of Man
And that’s just to whet your appetite. For a complete list of all the current exhibitions at Balboa Park museums, be sure to browse the Calendar.